Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Hamburger...the Never ending Story

I love an odd cookbook.
I have so many of them...

It's like a fixation really.

I managed to pare the collection down when we moved into 
our current home.
I was not going to be the one with 100 boxes of cookbooks.
No way.

One of the books I knew I'd be keeping is shown below...


Behold!

Published in 1960...this cookbook holds no less than 38 pages of meatball recipes alone!
Meatloaves, burgers, casseroles, soups and sauces.
One of the things I love about this book is that there are specific recipes for up to 100 people.
Not all cookbooks do that, incidentally.

So the other night I figured I would thumb through it and
find a meatball recipe.
I had some ground beef leftover and couldn't really figure 
what to make with it.

I stumbled across Danish Meatballs with Mashed Potatoes.


2 lbs hamburger
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients and form into 1 1/2 in balls.
Roll the meatballs in 2/3 cup flour seasoned with 1/4 salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
Brown on all sides in 1/4 cup cooking oil.
Add 1 cup beef stock and 1 bay leaf.
Cover and simmer for 30 mins.
Remove meatballs and set aside.
Blend in 3 tbsp flour and brown. 
Stir in 1 1/2 cup bouillon.
Cook, stirring constantly, until medium thick.
Serve meatballs and gravy with mashed potatoes harvested from our garden.

The end result was a warm yummy dish.
The nutmeg made a beautifully different gravy.
I served this dish with a side of green and yellow beans 
and peas frozen from our garden harvest.

This meal was perfect after a day of yard work on a cold afternoon.
It certainly balanced out the sight of our pond frozen!

We don't eat a ton of red meat...but when we do, we do enjoy the comfort and flavour.
When you buy local meat, you can be sure of the quality.
(Compared to those factory facilities who sell to grocery stores)
Plus, this is a great way to make your grocery dollars go farther!



Stay tuned for more ways to prepare hamburger...for those aficionados of hamburger everywhere.



2 comments:

  1. I did a little looking and I was able to find this book in Open Library, and was able to digitally check it out. There were some newer editions, but I checked out the 1960 one. ;) Saw a few that sound interesting - thanks for pointing this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! Glad I could help! I have this odd addiction to all things vintage-y and kitchy! But hey its all about hamburger! What could be wrong with that??? They need to make one all about BACON!!!

      Delete