Tuesday, November 5, 2013

2 Mexi Options for a Meat Free Monday


Every now and again I like to offer up options for people who are trying to curb their meat intake.

I have previously done posts about Meatfree Mondays, 
an initiative spearheaded by Sir Paul McCartney and his daughters.
If you are looking for the nutritional info on beans (or beans and rice together) - check out this link to my previous post.

Here is another in that series of posts:

Meat Free Burritos


I have posted this recipe before - but its so good, I'm posting it again.

I make a bean and rice dish that was inspired by something husband and I loved in Costa Rica.
Basically its black beans cooked in a little oil with lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, coriander, onions and S&P to taste.
Add in rice (I use a mixture of wild and brown rices) and simmer a bit more.


I add the beans and rice mixture to the wraps and top with spinach, tomatoes, 
sweet bell peppers, shredded cheese and plain Greek yogurt.
(Previously I have shown eating these with ranch dressing - but the Greek yogurt is awesome too)


What you get is a delicious, healthy and filling meal!

Pretty cheap too, if you happen to grow yer own veggies!
Beans and rice keep forever (in the proper conditions) so they really are a great investment for your grocery dollar, whether they be canned or dried.


I use the same bean and rice mixture in another dish...

Vegetarian Nachos


I take the same beans and rice mixture and scoop them into the center of a dinner plate.
Surround the scoops with nachos chips (shown here is Tostitos Cantina chips)
I sprinkled the last of my Roma tomatoes, chopped, and some sweet bell peppers, chopped.
Homemade salsa gets spooned around too.
Grated cheese (marble cheddar and hot pepper brick cheeses) on top of the whole mess and bake at 400 degrees C until cheese is melty!

I've been able to find these chips for quite a good deal, so the overall price on these nachos is still way below pub or restaurant rates.

ENJOY!

What have you been making meat-free these days?



No comments:

Post a Comment