Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cookbook Testing: Slow Cooker: 100 Tried and True Recipes

Following up on the post I did about slow cooker recipes.
A feature on one cookbook in particular.

Let me take you through a few of the recipes I've made so far...


Sausage and Bean Casserole pg 110

Substituted chick peas for white beans.
Hearty and savory.  A perfect weeknight meal.

************


Spicy Chicken and Cheese Dip pg 44

Omitted the chicken.
I had to take something to a potluck dinner for the local Scout troop.
Add a bag of tostitos chips and you've got a party.
(Note:  this did not reheat well.)

************


Beef Ragu with Tagliatelle pg 81

Omitted the red wine (it was Valentine's day. we drank it instead)
Substituted creamy tomato soup for the tomato paste.
A totally drool worthy meal for a couple or a crowd.
The leftovers reheat beautifully.

***********


Spicy Pulled Pork pg 73

Made the rolls myself.
Not so spicy...as the title claimed.
Add red pepper flakes when we reheated the meat and it was perfect!
I can see me making a ton of pulled pork this summer time.
The slow cooker plugged in on the deck.

***********

REVIEW:

A perfect addition to your shelf.
If you want slow cooker meals (both budget-friendly and easy to make),
this is the book for you.
If you want to expand your knowledge of what you think a slow cooker can do, 
this is the book for you.
If you just want some fun recipes for entertaining,
this is so the book for you.

Definitely a keeper!



PS.  Thanks to my awesome step mom Mary Elaine for gifting this cookbook!





No comments:

Post a Comment