Saturday, October 1, 2011

Apple Pickin Season...

I love the change in flavours from season to season.  Each season has its own unique flavours that just make you think of fall.  Apple cider, pumpkin, squash, all things orange, red and gold.  The leaves change colour.  The evenings get refreshingly cooler, the days get progressively shorter.  When you've had a couple of cold nights that make you think about getting the heaters going for the first time, thats when you should go pick apples.  Fresh crisp apples.  There is usually a farm close by city limits that offered apple picking and its well worth the trip. 

Lucky me, I just go to my in-laws and pick from the 6 apple trees next to their house...


The sunny was so sunny...


I looked for some branches that were loaded with apples.


My in-laws have a apple picking tool! 
(Hubbie says that I should use a towel in the basket so the apples don't get bruised)



Reeeeeach...



(I didn't even think about the towel...I was so excited to pick apples!!!)



Owen realized what an apple animal he is...



He jumped up and climbed the tree to find a big red apple for mum! 



Don't worry...I let my kids play at safe heights.




We just picked enough for me to bring some to Ottawa for snacks.  My personal favorite?  Sliced apples and slices of cheese!!!  A fabulous night time dish.

We have gone picking in our area before.  These spots feature trees that aren't very tall...so no ladders are required.  We wanted to make the most of our trip so we came home with 3 bushels of 2 different kinds of apples.  It was the same day that we figured out a bushel is a HUGE sack of apples.  It took me 3 days to peel and chop the lots for freezer bags.  Be warned, apples only stay fresh-like in a cool root cellar or something.  In your kitchen?  Sure, but it won't be long before the apples on the bottom start to turn to mush under the weight of all the other apples in the bag.


What food do you think represents fall best?  Pumpkins?  Apples?  Squash? 
Let me know in the comments section...

No comments:

Post a Comment